Interior design courses teach students the art of making living spaces look more effective and convenient for everyday use. The main aim of this degree is to make impactful changes in the lives and workspaces of individuals. Therefore, to study interior design, most of the students choose Canada as their most preferred study destination.
Canadian universities are set up and staffed in a way that lets them meet the needs of each student. In interior design, you can improve your skills with Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk AutoCAD, project management, and rendering in 3D. Interior designers have much scope in terms of jobs, as they can work in the creative field as an interior designer or interior decorator.
Why study interior design courses in Canada?
The importance of interior designers is rapidly growing in Canada and other parts of the world. However, when deciding which country to get an interior design degree from, students prefer Canada. While choosing Canada as a study destination, students also consider the following points:
- Widely accepted degree: A degree in interior design from Canada is widely accepted all over the world. Moreover, top recruiters from around the world happily accept students who have studied at Canadian universities.
- High ROI: Students invest in terms of fees, and their return is in terms of salary. The average fee for an interior design course will be around 60,000 CAD per year. Moreover, the average salary would be 55,000 CAD per year.
- Easy job availability: There is always a pool of job opportunities for interior designers and decorators. Further, it is expected that jobs in this field will increase in the future.
- Plenty of space for practical exposure: Canadian universities provide international students with theatres and exhibits to get hands-on experience. Students can use their practical knowledge to show their artistic and creative vision.
- Affordable interior design courses: Canadian universities offer affordable education to international students who are planning to study interior design courses. Even the accommodation costs in a few cities are affordable.
Eligibility to study in Canada for interior design:
In addition to studying, If you also wish to work as an interior designer in Canada, you must meet the requirements. The eligibility criteria tend to differ as per the university.
Students who will be pursuing a bachelor’s degree from Canada have to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- First of all, student must have completed higher secondary education from any recognised board
- Valid passport
- must have a proficiency score in English
- Proof of funds
- Lastly, A portfolio must contain the creative abilities of an individual.
Students who are planning to pursue a master’s degree from Canadian universities need to fulfil the following criteria:
- Must have completed a 4-year bachelor’s degree from a recognised college or university.
- must have a proficiency score in English
- 2 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of funds
Top Interior Designing Courses in Canada:
An individual can take different kinds of courses, depending on how long the course is and how much they already know. Usually the duration of a course varies from 1 to 2 years; even students can study on a part-time or full-time basis. Find the best interior design courses below:
Diploma in Interior Decoration (4 terms): First. a diploma in interior design is offered by a number of universities in Canada. This two-year diploma is recognised by the Designers’ Association of Canada. Getting an interior design diploma from Canada will give students the opportunity to equip themselves with the know-how of interior design.
Advanced Diploma in Interior Design: Advanced Diploma in Interior Design is a course that leads to a certificate in the field of interior design. Further, the main goal of this advanced diploma is to help people learn and use skills and knowledge at a higher level.
Post-Diploma Certificate in Kitchen and Bath Design (3 terms): This certification is primarily based on the organisation and management of kitchen and bathroom design. Studying at this level, students will be given professional knowledge of bathroom and kitchen design. This diploma is popular in Canada and is relevant around the world.
Master of Interior Design (1.5–2 years): Finally, a master’s degree in interior design teaches a student the art of making effective and creative changes in the interior of any setting. The course can extend to 1.5 or 2 years. Additionally, this is the highest level of qualification in interior design that an individual can achieve.
Top universities or colleges for an interior design course in Canada:
All the universities in Canada are equipped with theatres and exhibits that offer students a chance to work out their artistic and creative abilities. However, the lists of universities or colleges that accept applications for an interior design course in Canada are as follows:
- Georgian College
- University of Manitoba
- University of Calgary
- Humber College
- Toronto Metropolitan University
- University of Guelph
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
Scholarships in Canada for interior design courses:
Multiple scholarships are available to ease the financial burden of international students. Check out the eligibility for the scholarship below:
International Entrance Scholarship: Students who want to go to the Humber Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning can get this scholarship. A candidate must have a minimum GPA of 75% and an IELTS score of 6.5. Furthermore, the amount awarded in a scholarship is $2,000 CAD.
Academic Awards: Academic awards and scholarships are provided by Sheridan College’s Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning. Furthermore, a candidate must possess excellent academic performance.
Inspire Post-Secondary Education Scholarship: A student applying for this scholarship should have a diploma, an undergraduate degree, or a postgraduate degree from a recognised institution. Besides, It is applicable to every Canadian university.
Interior design courses are popular among international students in Canada. There is a wide range of courses available in interior design, which varies depending on the duration of the course and level of skill. Students who are planning to study in Canada can also apply for a scholarship to ease the financial burden. There are multiple universities that offer interior design courses for international students. After completing a degree or diploma in interior design from Canada, an individual can work as an interior designer or decorator.