China has been reportedly placed as the highest contributor of international students to the United States of America, despite the tension between the two nations. More than 155,000 visas have reportedly been granted by the US government to students from China since May of last year.
According to data from Open Doors, there were 372,532 Chinese students registered in US universities and colleges for the 2019–20 academic year, which is the highest number since 2010–11.
Most international students were enrolled in the following universities in the United States:
- 17,050 students at New York University
- 15,880 in Northeastern University- Boston
- 15,015 in Columbia University
- 14,992 in the University of Southern California
- 13,015 in Arizona State University – Tempe
- 12,838 in the University of Illinois – Urbana-Champaign
- 10,824 in the University of California – San Diego
- 10,646 in Boston University
- 10,500 in Purdue University – West Lafayette
- 10,273 in the University of California – Los Angeles
There were other countries like India, South Korea, Canada, and Saudi Arabia. Brazil and Vietnam to send a considerable amount of student population to the United States of America in the 2020-2021 academic year.
2,481 US students studied abroad in China in 2019–20, down from 11,639 the previous year according to the Open Doors reports.